Georgiana man dies as result of Christmas night storms | News
GEORGIANA, AL (WSFA) - The Alabama Emergency Management Agency is confirming with county law enforcement officials that an 81-year old man in Butler County has died due to injuries sustained in the Christmas night storms.
The victim, identified only as an African-American male, was in bed when a tree fell on his home. The victim, a resident of Georgiana, was recovered from the damaged house the next morning and transported to an area hospital.
He died on December 26th.
The man's death came as a result of damaging winds from a severe thunderstorm and not from a tornado, the NWS in Mobile says. The NWS radar analysis suggests the storm was an "isolated event".
Much of the Southeast was hit by strong storms and tornadoes over Christmas. At least 4 tornadoes have been confirmed to have hit south Alabama. Mobile and Pike County both suffered an EF-2 tornado while Marengo County was struck by a pair of EF-1 tornadoes.
Source: Alabama Emergency Management Agency
Top Greenville Stories
Upcoming Events near Greenville
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Montgomery firefighter arrested after high speed chase tops 140 mph
- Manhunt initiated for 4 in Lowndes Co.
- Urology Health Foundation to offer free prostate cancer screenings in Lowndes County
- Lowndes County's unemployment rate for March
- Former Lowndes County teacher convicted of having sexual contact with student